Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

Ham and Cheese Mac 'n' Cheese

So, I know I'm just about the worst blogger in the world since I never post on my blog, but hey, I'm a busy girl.  And Pinterest is my one Internet weakness that keeps me from just about everything else.

Anyway, I have something delicious to share.  However, I don't have a recipe- I made it up as I went along.  I have ingredients for you, though.  And I'll give you an estimate of how much I used.



Ham and Cheese Mac 'n' Cheese

1/4 c butter
4 tbsp. flour
5 or 6 slices of mild cheddar cheese
5 slices of ham, cubed
1/2 c milk
1- 1 1/2 c elbow macaroni pasta
1/2 c Panko bread crumbs


First start your water to boil for the pasta then once it's bubbling, add your pasta.


While that's cooking, start your sauce by melting your butter in a saucepan.


Then your going to make a roux by adding the flour to your melted butter.


It's going to thicken and darken quickly, so add the milk next and whisk well so it's not lumpy.



Now add the cheese.  I like cheddar and I use the real stuff not the processed cheese like Velveeta.


Salt and pepper to taste.



In this time your pasta has cooked, so drain it **I cook mine a little al dente**  Next, add the pasta to the sauce.



Now, add the cubed ham.  You can use the ham steak as well, I just happened to have the slices in the fridge, so I decided to use them.


Grab a baking dish, mine was a glass 8 x 8 dish, and spray it with a little cooking spray.


Pour in the mac 'n' cheese and spread it out.


Now, sprinkle the top with the Panko bread crumbs.  I love the Panko because they're light and just add a little crunch without any extra flavor.



Warm up the broiler and broil the mac 'n' cheese for about 5 minutes.  Yes, only 5 minutes!


Then enjoy!  And maybe have seconds... and thirds ;)



And I had a little of this with mine:

 
Delish!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment