Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Rice Pudding

My mom and I were grocery shopping the other day and for some reason she said she wanted to make rice pudding.

This is something we eat quite a bit.

And no, no raisins.  I hate raisins.

My step-dad, however, likes raisins, but my mom and I are the majority so there are no raisins in my rice pudding.  I did leave them in the recipe, though.

(My photos are going to look different and not -so-good because I no longer have the camera that I was using.)


Mm-mm.



First, boil some water.



Boil the rice with a little salt and lemon zest.



Transfer the rice to a bowl.



Boil milk, cinnamon, sugar, and butter.



Cook the rice in the milk mixture till the rice is nice and saturated with the yummy-goodness.


Once the mix is pretty thick, pour into a bowl to help it cool down.



Alright, alright, some raisins.


Except, I ate this cup and had to pick the raisins out first :)


A word of caution when boiling the milk mixture:



Yeah, it boiled over and I made a big mess.


There was some in the burner and it smelled a little like burnt sugar.


Be careful.


Rice Pudding


2 cups water


1 cup long grain rice


1/4 teaspoon salt


2 tablespoon butter


1/2 teaspoon lemon zest


4 cups whole milk


1/2 cup sugar


1 teaspoon cinnamon


1/2 cup golden or dark raisins


Bring water to a boil.  Stir in lemon zest, salt and long grain rice and return to boil.  Turn the heat to low and simmer the rice, covered, until all of the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.


Once rice is cooked, place it in a bowl and rinse out pan.  Add 4 cups of milk, sugar, and cinnamon to the pan.  Bring to a low boil, stirring often so the milk doesn't burn.  Add the cooked rice and raisins to the hot milk.  Stir often, until the milk cooks down and the rice is creamy, about 20 minutes.  Place in a large bowl or serving dishes to cool.  Serve cold or at room temperature.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment