Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Vegan Reese's Cup Brownies

Again, something for my boss.

David: Are bringing brownies?

Me: (thinking- brownies? did I say I'd bring brownies?) Brownies?

David: Oh, I'm just hungry that's all.

Me (thinking): Ooh, brownies.  Ok, I'll make brownies.

Since David's a vegan I decided on vegan brownies of course.  Then I wanted to add some peanut butter because we had natural peanut butter in the pantry that no one was eating.

And yes, I got too excited about eating them and didn't snap a pic of them after they were finished.


I jotted down the recipe from the site I got it from.



I'm big on using one bowl to make stuff.  First thing, toss all the dry ingredients into your bowl and give them a good whisk.



The key to making something vegan is not using eggs, of course.  Add the shortening, water, and vanilla to the dry ingredients.



After a good mix, it's lookin' pretty tasty.


And since there are no eggs I can eat it raw :)



Spread half of the batter in the bottom of the brownie pan.



Time for the peanut butter center.



Mix together the peanut butter and powdered sugar.



Spread the peanut butter mixture over the brownie batter.



Add the rest of the brownie batter and spread it to cover the peanut butter.


So, then pop them in the oven.


I took them to David as soon as they were out of the oven and...he forgot them.


I brought them back the next day and he ate them all.  He sent me a text: BROWNIES!  He was hooked.


Vegan Reese's Cup Brownies


Adapted from: Allrecipes.com


2 cups all-purpose flour


2 cups white sugar


3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder


1 tsp baking powder


1 tsp salt


1 cup water


1 cup vegetable shortening


1 tsp vanilla extract


1 cup peanut butter


1 1/2 cup powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Mix in shortening, water, and vanilla with an electric mixer.  Pour half of the batter in the bottom of a brownie pan.


In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter and powdered sugar.  Then spread over the brownie batter in the pan.  Then add the rest of the brownie batter.


Bake for 35 minutes.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment