Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

PW’s Flat Apple Pie

I've noticed something going back through my previous entries.  I blog at night.  I am a night-blogger.

I'm a night cooker, too.  I guess I'm more of a night owl than I thought.

Anyway, now that the frivolous information is out of the way.  Let's get to the good stuff.

Apples.  Pie.

Two of the greatest words ever.  I love apples.  I love pie.

I grew up in Ohio and pretty close to Amish Country.  The Amish make the best pies ever.  I could never make anything close to an Amish-made pie.  I don't know what it is that they do, but they do it well.  So, I've had my fair share of pies and I love them.  I have to say apple is one of my favorites.  I tend to like Dutch Apple better than regular apple, but it's all good to me.

I bought the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook a few months ago and so far everything I've made from it has been amazing.  This recipe included.

The recipe calls for The Pioneer Woman's pie crust, however, I didn't have any shortening, so I had to find another recipe using butter.  I know, I know, load on the fat, but whatever.  If you're gonna go for it then go for it, right?!


I think I may come up with some sort of prize for anyone who knows what this is.  (Jessica you cannot comment :))



Jessica bought the BIGGEST Granny Smith apples I've ever seen.



For the crust: first mix 1 1/4 cup of flour and 1/4 tsp salt



Add in 1/2 cup of cold butter, I used unsalted.  And mash the butter in with a pastry blender, or I had to use a fork.



Drizzle in 1/4 cup of water.  Mix it well.  I add a little at a time just in case you don't need to whole 1/4 cup.



Once it's all mixed form it and wrap it in plastic wrap then place it in the fridge for a few hours.



I sliced my apples with a mandolin and it's the greatest thing ever.  However, I sliced my fingers a couple of times.  So, if you have one USE THE GUARD!



Sprinkle the apples with some flour.



Then add some white sugar and some brown suga lol



After you give everything a good stir, it looks like this- all yummy, apple-ly, and sugary.


I used a pizza pan to bake the pie on.  Roll out your crust to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.



Spoon half of the apple mixture onto the crust.



I gave it a sprinkle of cinnamon, even though the recipe didn't call for it, I just thought it needed it.



There ya have it.  At least most of the way to the deliciousness to come.



OOOOH Wait!  There's one more thing: add some bits of butter to the top :)



Oh yeah!  This is amazing.  I've never made any kind of pie, but I did this and I LOVE it!



Let me tell you, let me scream it from the rooftops, this woman knows what she's talking about.  And is my guru of cooking, so to speak.


This post took me 2 weeks to get it up on here.  I've had so much going on in my life lately that I didn't get a chance to get the post done.  However, I could not abandon it.  I had to post it.  You have to make this crust and the pie below.


This is the recipe from the book, and she has you make her crust too.  I, however, did not have any shortening, so I had to find a crust with butter.


Pioneer Woman's Flat Apple Pie



Ingredients:


  • 5 peeled & sliced Granny Smith apples

  • 2 tbsp. flour

  • Juice of 1/2 lemon

  • 1/2 c. sugar

  • 1/2 c. brown sugar, packed

  • 1/4 tsp. salt

  • 1 recipe Perfect Pie Crust

  • 6 tbsp. butter


Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375-degrees.

2. In a large bowl, stir together the apples, flour, lemon juice, granulated sugar, brown sugar and salt. Set aside.

3. Roll out two pie crusts into large circles. Place the circles on large baking sheets.

4. Place half the apple mixture on one crust and other half on the other crust.

5. Fold over the edge of each crust so that it covers 2-3 inches of the apple mixture. No need to be artistic - the more rustic the better.

6. Dot the tops of the pies with chunks of butter.

7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is golden and bubbly. If the crust appears to brown too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil for the remaining baking time.

8. All to cool slightly, then slice into wedges with a pizza cutter. Eat ‘em on the go!

Variation: For extra sweetness, drizzle on jarred caramel topping after removing the pie from the oven.

(makes 2 pies)

Pioneer Woman's Perfect Pie Crust

Ingredients:

  • 3 c. flour

  • 1 tsp salt

  • 1 ½ c. vegetable shortening

  • 1 egg

  • 5 tbsp. cold water

  • 1 tbsp. distilled white vinegar


Method:

1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.

2. Add in the shortening. Using a pastry cutter, gradually work the shortening into the flour until the mixture resembles tiny pebbles. This should take 3-4 minutes.

3. Lightly beat the egg with a fork, then add it to the mixture. Next, add the cold water and vinegar.

4. Stir the mixture together until it's just combined, then remove half the dough from the bowl.

5. Place in a large plastic bag (do not seal) and slightly flatten with a rolling pin. After flattening, seal the bag tightly. Freeze. (Repeat to freeze second half.)

6. When you're ready to use a crust, remove one from the freezer and allow it to sit on the counter to thaw slightly, about 20 minutes. Remove from the bag and place on a lightly floured surface.

7. With a rolling pin, begin rolling the dough from the center, outward. Be gentle and patient; it'll take a little time to get the dough completely rolled out.

8. If you think the bottom is really sticking to the surface below, use a nice, sharp spatula to loosen it and sprinkle some extra flour on top.

9. Flip it over to finish rolling. Remember to roll from the center in single, outward strokes; no back-and-forth rolling.

10. Again with spatula, loosen and lift the pie crust and carefully lay it over a pie pan. Using your hand, lightly form the crust so that it fits inside the pan and overlaps the edges.

11. Tuck excess dough under itself above the rim.

12. Apply decorative effects to the edge.

13. Fill with filling and bake according to pie recipe's directions. For a pre-baked crust, fill with weights (or pinto beans placed on aluminum foil) and bake at 400-degrees for 10 minutes, or until golden.

(makes two to three 9-inch pie crusts)
Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. [...] We had a Southern BBQ over the weekend and I didn’t take any pictures of the food I made, so sorry.  I made some peach cobbler, which was fashioned after this, and a couple of these Flat Apple Pies. [...]

    ReplyDelete