Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins

The other night Jessie and I were supposed to go with The Chad to the midnight release of "Halo Reach," but The Chad fell asleep.  Jessie and I were still going to go so we decided to make muffins to keep ourselves awake.  I wanted to make something with apples, or applesauce.  So, I found a recipe and tweeked it a little to come up with something DELICIOUS!


All the ingredients laid out here, no not nice and neat because Jessica wasn't paying attention enough when I started to take that picture.  (I love you, Jessie :)



First, let me say I let Jessica take all the pictures (I guess since she's a photographer she should be the one to take them), but she wasn't paying attention the whole time so there aren't pictures of every step.


But first throw all the wet ingredients and the sugar into a bowl.



Now add the flour.



Then add the rest of your dry ingredients.



And...let your measuring spoons and cups stack up nicely.



Now everything's mixed up so nicely.



Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.  I used three tablespoons in each cup, but if you want more of a top to them I'd use four.



In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar and oatmeal.



Sprinkle the muffin batter with brown sugar and oatmeal mix.  Then pop them in the oven.



Then after 50 excruciating minutes of smelling the amazing-ness and waiting impatiently, they come out like this and are AMAZING!



Jessica and I shared this one then...a few minutes later I ate my own.


The Chad ate two of these for breakfast the next day and took the rest to the guys at work and they didn't last very long.


I have to add a little tip for all you bakers out there.


I needed cake flour for a recipe we were going to make this muffin night, but we didn't have something else so we couldn't make it.  We also didn't have cake flour, but I found a substitution for it.  So, moral of the story is- if you need cake flour for a recipe, but have none here's what you do:



1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour + 1/4 cup of cornstarch = 2 cups of cake flour  I can do math!  Aren't you proud?!



Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins


1 1/4 cup plain applesauce


2 apples (Fuji or Gala are probably best), cored, peeled, and cut up into small pieces.


1 cup sugar


1/2 cup oil


2 eggs


3 tbsp milk


2 cups all-purpose flour


1 tsp baking soda


1/2 tsp baking powder


1/2 tsp cinnamon


1/4 tsp nutmeg


1/4 tsp salt


1/4 cup oatmeal


1/4 cup brown sugar


Preheat oven to 350.  Line a muffin tin with papers.


Combine the first six ingredients in a bowl, and mix thoroughly.  Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.  Then add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.  Use a tablespoon measuring spoon, and spoon 4 tablespoons into each muffin cup.  Combine in a small bowl then oatmeal and brown sugar.  Sprinkle the mixture on the top of each cup of batter.  Bake for 50 minutes.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment